3 REASONS WHY YOGA TEACHER TRAINING CHANGES YOUR LIFE
Something magical and mystical happens when a group of high-intentioned individuals make the decision to gather together for two-hundred hours with the purpose of uplifting their lives and expanding consciousness into radical authenticity.
The result is something beyond words. It is, as best as I can explain it, the Alchemy of Yoga. The Yoga Sutras (Chapter 2, Verse 1) explains how the Alchemy of Yoga actually works:
“Tapas svadhaya ishvara pranidhana kriya yoga.”
This sutra is translated to explain that yoga helps us transform ourselves on three levels:
- Physical Alchemy – Tapas
- Mental Alchemy – Svadhaya
- Spiritual Alchemy – Ishvara Pranidhana
Physical Alchemy – Tapas: Ignites the changes we want to make in our lives. It is about the getting fired up and passionate. Literally it means heating the body through moving and breathing in the vinyasa.
Mental Alchemy – Svadhaya: While we are following the discipline of tapas and engaging in physical practice to help move our stuck energy we are watching ourselves. In yoga we study the self to learn about the self. Here the mental alchemy is through self-observation. We witness what is going on in our thoughts, what are we thinking. We tune in to our intuition to enhance clarity and harmony between what we think, say and do. We remember to remember who we really are. Through this, our ego softens from being I centered to seeing our interconnectedness to all things, people, nature, energies. We humbly realize our nature of union in this interweb.
Spiritual Alchemy – Ishvara Pranidhana: As we are doing and watching, we let go of the ego of judgment. We move beyond wanting life to be different and begin to feel the surrender that allows what is being offered to mix together. We practice ishvara pranidhana as we trust the universal intelligence that hugs us from all directions to know what it is doing. Once we find this trust, we begin to believe that beauty and goodness are within us flowing non-stop. We understand that there is no reason to stop this flow for its natural current is to align with the current of grace that is everywhere outside us. Beauty becomes our way of life. Happiness becomes our natural alchemy once again.
You see when you get together in a Teacher Training Tribe (aka Alchemy of Yoga) we are all like the Alchemist in his/her laboratory mixing ingredients. For us as yogis our laboratory is our mat and the ingredients are our bodies, our poses, our breath, our thoughts and the mixing it all together creates a different result every time. A Teacher Training Program changes your life. You wake up to the power you have to go into the laboratory of your life experience and mix the potions you want to create your best life going forward!
Here are 3 Reasons Why Yoga Teacher Training Changes Your Life:
1. TRANSFORMATION HAPPENS FASTER...Something extraordinary happens while in a yoga teacher training program that breaks the bonds of ordinary awareness and expands the consciousness of each individual to a level that would otherwise would have taken years of ordinary living to attain. This acceleration of evolution is mystical, meaning that the explanation of the change is beyond logic and reason. The term from quantum physics,“quantum leap”, comes to mind. A quantum leap means “a phenomena where an electron orbiting the nucleus of an atom changes its position without having traversed the space between its old and new orbit and without taking any time to do so. As scientifically verifiable as this phenomena is, it is also on the order of a miracle, for science has no explanation how this effect happens.” This experience of waking up to the power of your own transformation fires you up to change the world. As Sri Swami Satchidananda says, “Yoga believes in transforming the individual before transforming the world. Whatever change we want to happen outside should happen within. If you walk in peace and express that peace in your very life, others will see you and learn something.” In a teacher training tribe you are learning at a faster rate exponentially. You feed off of one another’s passion and it makes everyone burn brighter. You are constantly being built up to reach higher into your best potentiality.
2. SELF-REFLECTION LEADS TO SELF-EXPRESSION...Self-Study known as svadhaya is really the heart of yoga. A 200â€hour program offers you a unique opportunity to make a deep commitment to learning more about yourself. The entire training community provides you honest, loving support from day one with complete inclusivity. Training programs are a safe haven: a nurturing sanctuary to engage in openâ€minded selfâ€exploration. Teacher trainings are devoted to offering you an atmosphere in which freedom of self-expression, creativity, and passion for life are totally encouraged! In the 8â€limbed path of Yoga in order to effectively teach using your most authentic voice you can only teach what you know about yourself. Being a dedicated student of yoga for your own self study will help you learn better ways to take care of yourself. And once you know how to self-comfort you are able to express who you are into the world in a dynamic yet unpretentious way.
3. BREAK OLD HABITS…By taking a break from your daily life, unplugging from the pulls and pushes of technology and engaging in healthy activity (tapas) and conversation (self-study) while in the container of a teacher training program you are in an excellent environment to release unwanted habits. Some of these habits include detoxing the physical body through a lot of moving and breathing. You’ll do a lot of yoga poses! The letting go of mental bonds and ego provides an emotional transformation of surrender. When we surrender and feel safe then healing begins. Once relaxed we can see our old emotional paradigms emerge and the unhealthy mental habits which have formed as samskaras. From there the Spiritual Alchemy resets the internal dialogue to one of trusting the forward flow of grace. Also there is something very powerful about surrounding yourself with people who don’t know the encyclopedia of your past. They see you as you really are and your potential for greatness. This helps to reinforce your willingness to change for the better. Even upon finishing a teacher training program life long friendships are formed with like minded people who will support your growth and your new lifestyle choices. They will continue to support your spiritual maturity to show up fully and let go completely.
I am an adventurer. A hero and a heroine. The prince and the princess. Ala “Sleeping Beauty” I’ve kissed myself awake. I drive myself home. I travel solo. I’ve owned multiple homes since I was twenty-three years old. I am an independent woman. I am a risk taker. I make the grand gesture. I’ve risked it ALL for love. I don’t hold back. I leap with both feet in. When I wake up I say YES to life and recite my mantra “this is the BEST day ever.” I do not edit the full expression of the pose on the mat or the fullest expression of my life. I embrace it ALL. I teach others to do the same. To say YES to the ultimate adventure. Thirteen years ago I even founded a School to teach how to say YES to being yourself, the ultimate hero and heroines journey, I named it Alchemy of Yoga.
With over 11,000 hours of yoga teaching experience I make yoga approachable and inspiring for everyone. My focus is on bringing more fun to yoga with the hope that how we practice our yoga becomes how we live our life. As an Experienced Yoga Teacher (E-RYT) and a lifelong singer, dancer, poet and adventurer, my style of yoga is Bhakti infused Alignment based Vinyasa flow. I’ve been teaching yoga for over 15 years. I have a 13 year Human Resource career and I am a successful serial Yogapreneur. I owned 2 Yoga Studios for 10 years with over 9,000 students, founded Alchemy Tours, a Spiritual Adventure company and developed the 13 year old international Alchemy of Yoga Teacher Training School with 26 graduating classes of Love Alchemists. Most importantly I’ve been a dedicated student of yoga since being in a hit and run and experiencing the “alchemy of yoga” to recover physically and emotionally. This life changing accident transformed my mind, body and soul.
My best teachers are Great Spirit, my pain, my joy, divine love, sunshine, soft baby grass, and the blessed waters that fill our rivers and oceans. I have studied with today’s great master teachers both names you know and those you don’t know for over 1,000 hours. My beloved Shiva/Shakti Teachers in no particular order include, Gloria Latham, Shiva Rea, Saul David Raye, Anusara, Sianna Sherman, Noah Maze, and Rod Stryker. I am a dedicated student of Rajanika Tantra believing that we all share the dharma of love and the fastest way to love is to meditate.
My classes holistically integrate various styles of yoga, primarily Vinyasa, Kundalini and Anusara, where transitioning with elegance while we flow with the breath and wisely align the poses to our own unique bodies cultivates embodiment and connection to our highest potential.
Look for my upcoming book “Happiness Prescriptions,” read my popular blog called Love Your Life (named one of the top Yoga blogs for 2015), along with enjoying my “Loving Your Day” YouTube channel. My articles appear regularly in magazines such as Mantra Yoga and on various yoga sites such as MindBodyGreen, Yoganonymous, GaiaTV, Daily Cup of Yoga, and I am is the author of the The Alchemy of Yoga blog on DoYouYoga.com.