How to Meet Yoga Alliance Requirements for RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) 200 Hour Certification
Alchemy of Yoga is recognized by Yoga Alliance as a Registered 200-Hour Yoga School and offers you a unique opportunity to make a deep commitment to learning more about yourself. We create a safe haven: a nurturing place to engage in open minded self-exploration. Alchemy of Yoga is devoted to offering you an atmosphere in which freedom of expression, fun, creativity, and passion for life are “totally” encouraged! This program covers the foundations of the eight-limbed path of yoga and believes in yoga as a life-long truthful celebration of ourselves and our world.
Yoga Technique, Training & Practice (100 hours)
Asana, Pranayama, Meditation, Mantra
This is the largest portion of the curriculum, including morning meditation, followed by daily Asana practice. Early morning Satsang will always include a form of meditation, and will also often include various traditional yoga techniques, such as Mantra repetition. The daily Asana portion is typically a vigorous 90 minute Vinyasa Flow class.
Teaching Methodology (30 hours)
Personal Development and Sacred Principles of Teaching
Yoga is defined as the study of the self, to the self, through the self. Alchemy of Yoga is dedicated to self-study through both modern and ancient forms of personal development. We wholeheartedly believe the best teachers are those who know themselves the best. Therefore, we offer you ways to unlearn the obstacles to your happiness, how to harness the power of manifestation, and tap into your greatest personal potential. Yes, demonstrating, assisting, and adjusting students is certainly covered. But we also cover how to hold space for others, how to honor the sacred seat of the teacher, and the Alchemy of Communication from our highest selves using Non-Violent Communication techniques (NVC). Our program is specifically geared help you discover your authentic voice.
Anatomy & Physiology (25 hours)
Both Physical & Energetic Anatomy
Alchemy of Yoga anatomical education is more than just learning about muscles and bones. You’ll learn about practical theories and how to apply them to real-life. We cover both the human physical anatomy (skeletal, muscular, respiratory, & cardiovascular systems) as well as energetic anatomy (prana, chakras, nadis, bandhas). There is a specific emphasis on understanding Ayurveda and itss powerful role in promoting the Alchemy of Balance and Happiness in your life.
Yoga Philosophy & Ethics (30 hours)
From The Yoga Sutras to Modern-Day Mindfulness
Alchemy of Yoga has a non-traditional approach to Yoga Philosophy. Expect a healthy dialogue on key concepts from The Yoga Sutras as well as modern day philosophy and Positive Psychology. We are dedicated to presenting key traditional philosophical concepts, such as Advaita Vedanta (non-dualism). We will also explore ethical relationships and boundaries and what it means to be a psychologically healthy teacher. You will learn techniques about how to guide students to their own experience and be self- led through a non-authoritarian approach, and mindfulness practice as it relates to the business of being a yoga teacher.
Practicum (20 hours)
Based in Sacred Learning Methodology, we will use various learning techniques, trainees will practice teaching in a variety of settings & scenarios (including 1 on 1 and in small groups) from day 2. We utilize technology, for example, via video feedback, as another layer to the learning process. We require time spent in observation, reading and processing what this means to you. Most importantly we will give you the tools to Teach Peace.
Practicum: Download the PDF here.
- Asana Classes: Participate in Practice Class sessions scheduled into the Teacher Training curriculum.
- Observations: Complete four hours of observation including: 1) Observe Silvia teaching a one-hour yoga class, 2) Observe a sunrise, 3) Observe a sunset, 4) Observe thoughts that arise during silent mealtime. To receive credit for these observations, please write a brief report detailing your observations and reflections (1-2 paragraphs each).
- Assistant Teaching: Complete one hour of assistant teaching with Silvia. To receive credit for assistant teaching, please write a brief report detailing your experience (1-2 paragraphs each).
- Practice Teaching & Final Teaching: Participate in Practice Teaching sessions scheduled into the Teacher Training curriculum. These sessions will culminate in a final teaching session in which you teach a wave of the Alchemy of Yoga class plan to your loving & supportive yoga teacher tribe.
- Sacred Study Project: Write a report on the chakra(s) or dosha(s) of your choice. You have complete creative freedom in this self-study. The intention is that you dive deeper into the chakra system or the practices of Ayurveda. At minimum, please submit 2-3 pages of personal reflection, but you are encouraged to take the direction that inspires you most.
- Asana Sheets: Create a photo diary of the following 10 fundamental poses: Adho Mukha Svanasana, Virabhadrasana I, Virabhadrasana II, Utkatasana, Parsvottanasana, Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (any variation), Ardha Matsyendrasana, Plank Asana or Side Plank, Urdhva Mukha Svanasana or Bhujangasana, Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana. In addition to a personal photo that embodies your personal alchemy, please include a description of purposes, benefits, modifications, and cues.
- Final Exam: The exam is distributed via e-mail part-way through teacher training. It is open-book, open-friend, open-Google, and open-heart. We will create an opportunity to work on the exam together throughout the course of teacher training.
- Final Project: Imagine you are reaching out to a yoga studio to ask them to hold your workshop or event in their studio space. Create a 10-minute presentation that pitches your workshop or event. While you have complete creative freedom for this project, consider including items such as a flyer/poster, your yoga biography, a class plan, a playlist, a handout for the class, a strategy for social media campaign, and a cover letter. You will receive materials to facilitate the development of these elements throughout the course of teacher training.
- Attendance: 180 contact hours are required.
- Attitude & Alignment: As a requirement for certification, each trainee commits to a positive attitude of ahimsa, offering loving kindness and patience to all beings. In addition, each trainee exhibits conscious relationships and ethics in line with Yoga Alliance, please refer to the YA Code of Conduct.
How to Submit Your Work: Please create a separate document for each practicum requirement — e.g., all observations are in one document, all assistant teaching reflections are in one document, etc. Please title each document with Your Name + Assignment — e.g., Silvia Mordini: Observations. E-mail all assignments to Silvia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submission Guidelines: Please submit the above self-study work within six months of completing teacher training.
For each teacher trainee, it takes a different amount of time to complete the program post classroom sessions. Everybody has their own yoga, which Alchemy of Yoga respects and honors. To maximize optimal learning and reinforcement, we recommend that practicum materials are completed within six months of completing teacher training. If you are unable to meet practicum requirements within the suggested timeline, please reach out to email@example.com to design a timeline that best fits your yoga.