Be honest with yourself: do you crave chaos or stability?
Today, my answer is stability. My past addiction to chaos simply hurt me too much. I got sick of the constant mental TUG-O-WAR with myself. I’m not interested in feeling impatient with one thought and having to pull or push at the next one. Impatience promotes chaos and doesn’t feel good.
The antidote to this is patience. Patience feels good. It feels like a return to mental stability no matter the chaos around us or what other people are thinking or doing. The ease of a patient mind brings about mental ease which promotes emotional equalibrium. Spiritual practice teaches us that balance is our natural state. We are meant to live from a stable foundation and inner stillness.
Just like we build a solid yoga pose from the ground up, we need stability to form a strong foundation for our lives. In Sanskrit this is known as Sthira. Grounding serves us as a simplifying force in order to stabilize our minds. When grounded, we plug back into our best selves and become fully present and balanced. Our energy stabilizes. Once centered, we are able to see clearly the circumstances of our lives without the drama filter. We no longer over-respond or over-worry because the static noise of distress doesn’t pull us apart. It is that difference between fallling to pieces or falling into peace.
5 Ways to Promote Stability In Your Life:
- Practice yoga. After all, yoga poses help us feel more stable. Devote your yoga practice to getting grounded. Sequenced, still standing poses help us achieve the security that comes from connecting our nervous system to the earth. And taking a vow of silence during class helps difuse the inner mental chatter as well.
- Studies prove that in a short amount of time meditation promotes inner stillness and mental health.
- Practice repeating a calming mantra to yourself. Try this one out:
I will let go of the need to be needed
I will let go of the need to be accepted
I will let go of the need to be accomplished
- Unplug from technology. Take a media break for a day a week. Detoxing your mind away from the push and pull energy of staying constantly plugged in is healthy in all ways.
- Get your hands or feet dirty. Try gardening or a walk on the beach. Or simply put yourself as close to the ground as possible in order to reconnect to the calming vibration of earth energy.
Today, choose stability instead of turmoil. I promise that you will feel more grounded and at home in your heart. The constancy of ordinary happiness will become your most peaceful aspiration. Love yourself, love your day, love your life!